Newcastle Grammar (boys) and Cronulla High (girls) have come out on top at The Mutual Bank High School Team Challenge at South Bar beach as part of Surfest 2023.
Newcastle Grammar rose to the top of the huge field of 46 teams contesting the boys’ trophy, while Cronulla edged out Newcastle Grammar (A) by less than a point to rise to top of the ten girls’ teams that entered the event.
The contest saw consistent one metre waves in clean, offshore conditions on both Thursday and Friday mornings, with more challenging conditions offered in the afternoons as the north-easterly kicked in.
Surfest organiser Warren Smith said The Mutual Bank High Schools Team Challenge offered a unique format where surfers were rewarded for criteria that emphasised team performance.
“Surfing is a sport where individual achievement is celebrated, but this event requires a team strategy and a willingness to consider how any decision in the water will impact the criteria being used to determine the heat and contest,” he said.
“I’d like to thank The Mutual Bank for coming on board and sponsoring the event and providing the opportunity for students to surf here over the past two days.
“It’s great to provide opportunities for student surfers from New South Wales High schools from Port Macquarie to Cronulla, and seeing them meet, mix and compete.
“And a big shout out to the teachers for their enthusiastic support of the youngsters, and we look forward to doing it all again in 2024,” he said.
- Newcastle Grammar (A) 52.5
- Tomaree (C) 50.9
- Saint Francis Xavier (A) 46.2
- Tuggerah (B) 42.2
- Cronulla High (44.5)
- Newcastle Grammar (A) (43.8)
- Swansea High (16.4)
- Merewether High (14.5)
- Belmont High A
- Cronulla High A
- Cronulla High B
- Gorokan High A
- Great Lakes College B
- Great Lakes College C
- Hunter Sports High A
- Hunter Sports High B
- Kotara High A
- Lambton High A
- Mary Mackillop College Port Macquarie A
- Mary Mackillop College Port Macquarie B
- Mary Mackillop College Port Macquarie C
- Matraville Sports High A
- Newcastle Grammar B
- St Mary’s Catholic College Gateshead A
- St Mary’s Catholic College Gateshead B
- St Mary’s Catholic College Gateshead C
- St Mary’s Catholic College Gateshead D
- St Mary’s Catholic College Gateshead E
- St Philips Christian College Newcastle A
- St Pius X Adamstown A
- Swansea High School A
- Swansea High School B
- Swansea High School C
- Tuggerah Lakes Secondary College A
- Tuggerah Lakes Secondary College B
- Tuggerah Lakes Secondary College C
- Tuggerah Lakes Secondary College D
- Whitebridge High A
- Whitebridge High B
- Whitebridge High C
- Whitebridge High D
- Whitebridge High
- Whitebridge High F
- Belmont High
- Cronulla High
- Hunter Sports High
- Merewether High
- Newcastle Grammar A
- Newcastle Grammar B
- St Mary’s Catholic College Newcastle
- St Philips Christian College Newcastle
- St Pius X Adamstown
- Swansea High
- Tomaree High